Monday

22 June: Rugby to Grand Forks

When I awoke on Sunday morning, I decided to get up, so that when people began stirring in the RV park they wouldn't discover me. After a quick tear-down, I went across the highway to the gas station, where I got a pumpking muffin for breakfast. I nearly didn't eat it, because the inside was a strange green color all the way through that surely indicated some sort of artificial color -- why was that necessary? I was hungry though, and figured they probably wouldn't give me my money back because I didn't like the color of the muffin, so I ate it. There was absolutely no traffic on the highway yet, so I sat for a while, reading, and made a sign for Grand Forks. I decided to try retiring the Devils Lake sign and just get all the way to Grand Forks.

At about 8:00, I headed out onto the highway. The man working at the gas station counter told me that I might as well wait a couple hours because traffic didn't really get going until later, but I was sick of sitting there so I went out to start working anyway. He was right, it was slow going. I talked with some bikers who were stopping for coffee, but other than that there was very little of interest for about an hour and a half. Finally, around 9:30, Tim and his nephew, Jeremy, stopped for me. They were going all the way go Grand Forks. I was thrilled, I'd cover all 148 miles in one shot.

Tim & Jeremy were fun to talk to, there were a lot of jokes and funny stories. They dropped me off in downtown Grand Forks (right at a coffee house that had been recommended to me, thanks to their GPS), where I had some sorely needed caffeine and called Linnea. She came to pick me up, and I spent the afternoon relaxing at the apartment and recovering from my marathon hitchhiking days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Derek,

Your trek across Montana seemed to go quickly--at least from this perspective. I'm curious as to why several people warned you off Poplar at night. Sounds sinister.

By the looks of things, you'll be spending the 4th with your family. That will be nice.

Keep safe.

Mike in Seattle